Monday, June 3, 2013

Summer@Home: Day 6 — Stranded at Publix

Day 6
Have you ever been stranded somewhere? It's a pretty helpless feeling. To have somewhere to go, but no way to get there?

Yesterday, Day 6 of my Summer@Home, I got stranded at Publix. Not on purpose, but kind of out of necessity. You see, grocery shopping these days is a "do it when you have the opportunity" kind of thing. The trips are not always planned. Sometimes the opportunity just kind of  pops up, and you  run with it.



This means that I constantly need to have:
  • a running list of what we need
  • an idea of what my week looks like so I can anticipate things that aren't yet on my list
  • an idea of what is already in my fridge.
I had the first two things covered yesterday when it turned out that I could go to Publix. (I'm always a little vague on the third one.) Herb was taking the little people to Cub Scout Camp and stopping back at the house to get our teenager to take him to his church youth group. Hooray for me! Leisurely trip to the grocery store!

It's the little things that make my day.

Error #1: I did not grab my wallet as I ran out of the door.
Error #2: I did not immediately run back inside when I realized this. Herb said he'd just give me his debit card.
Error #3: I did not verify that Herb, in fact, had his debit card with him.

We realized Error #3 when we got to Publix. No worries. Herb said he'd drop my wallet off to me after he took the kids to Cub Camp and before taking Sandy to church.

Error #4: I assumed that nothing would happen to delay him.

A nasty thunderstorm started while I was in Publix. I was oblivious, of course ... high on the freedom of walking the aisles, shopping for frivolous things like a new ice cream scooper. (Zyliss, pink handle, $9.99. A splurge, I know.)

Herb, however, was stuck in a holding pattern at Cub Camp. They wouldn't allow the kids to exit the cars while there was so much lightning going on. This meant that he was going to be late getting back to pick up Sandy to take him to church. Stopping by the grocery store was going to make him even later.

Decision Time: Was it more important to get Sandy to church on time, or for me to get my wallet?

I decided to let Sandy get to church on time. Heck, I knew they were already going to be late. I just didn't want them to be any later. I've been the high school kid who walks in late to a group event and had everyone turn around and look at you. As an adult, we might not see it as a big social faux pas, but to a teenager it is. I get it.

So there I was, at Publix, full basket of groceries, no money, and at least 45 minutes to kill before my wallet and my ride would arrive. Pre-driving restriction, this would have made me mad. Or exasperated me no end. I might have said some not-nice things in my head. But Driving Restriction Me has learned to go with the flow a little more.

I parked my buggy behind the customer service counter and went outside. I sat at a picnic table, listened to the Braves game live on my iPhone, and watched the rain. My mother-in-law heard of my plight and came to pick me up. But not before I got to hear the end of the game. (Braves won, 6-3 over the Nationals.)

Sometimes, being stranded is not such a bad thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment