Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer@Home Day 26 — Can Lightning Strike Twice?

Day 26
Words should be measured carefully before they are spoken. Frequently you do not know their import until it is too late. Once said, they cannot be unspoken, no matter how much we wish it were so.

Let me explain...

When I was pregnant with my now seven-year-old, we went to a Braves game. Now, you must understand that I am a huge Braves fan. Obsessive, some would say. Given the opportunity I would rather be at Turner Field than just about anywhere else. 

However, in this particular instance it was a day game in late June. I was six months pregnant, and I was ready to go home. We were on the right side of a 4-0 shutout going into the eighth, so it looked good for an on-time departure. 

Until the Orioles scored in the top of the 8th. And then three more times in the top of the 9th. By the bottom of the 9th, our four-run lead had disintegrated into a tie ballgame. 

Late June in Atlanta when you're very pregnant is enough to make even the most die-hard baseball fan weary.
 

Andruw Jones
Andruw Jones led off the inning, and the fans in the stadium rose as one. He was still in his prime and a force to be reckoned with at the plate. He and the longball were well acquainted. Exactly the person you wanted at bat at a time like this.

At that moment I spoke words that live with me to this day. 

"Andruw Jones, If you hit a home run right now, I'll name my baby after you!"


I screamed. I chopped. I prayed.





Crack. 

Roar.

Fireworks. 

Crap.

I turned to my husband and tried to get his attention. He was ecstatic, jumping up and down with the crowd. He hasn't noticed yet that I was silent and perfectly still. 

"Herb. Herb! HERB! Look at me! I think I just named our baby."

"Huh?"

I explained my hastily spoken words. We looked at each other, and shrugged. It was decided. Jordan Andruw it would be. Or maybe Jordan Andrew. That was still to be discussed. But the middle name that we had been agonizing over for months was decided. 
Joey Terdoslavich

Now, back to the title of this post. Why did I question whether lightning could strike twice?

I am in the car right now, typing this with my thumbs. We just watched the Gwinnett Braves come from behind to beat the Syracuse Chiefs in the bottom of the ninth on a walk-off home run by Joey Terdoslavich.

Oops. I did it again.

It could be worse. I could have promised to use his last name.

Editor's Note: I am not pregnant. I am not trying to get pregnant. At this point in my life, I don't want to get pregnant. In fact, I have surgically taken steps to ensure that I would not get pregnant again, and my husband witnessed it. But I am just a little bit nervous right now. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment