Monday, October 15, 2012

Life's Little Interruptions

Working from home can be interesting. Particularly on days when the kids are home from school. My husband was supposed to be home from a business trip last night and take off today, but the trip was unexpectedly extended. I didn't send the kids to a friend's house for babysitting because Joshua was too tired this morning.

What now?

Well, deadlines don't change because of business trips and tired kids, so I press on. I thought I would keep a list today of the little things that interrupted my work day. I've never done this before, so it could be interesting. Or boring. Or funny. Or depressing. But you never know until you start.

Ready.
Set.
Go!





Life's Little Interruptions
  • Deciding to blog about them. (Thought I should state the obvious.)
  • "My bike is blocked by the sofa in the garage that the cat peed on. Can you help me move it?"
  • Letting the dog out of her crate when I realized she was still there at 10 a.m. (I love you Brenna! Really, I do!)
  • Feeding Brenna her breakfast.
  • Walking the dog into the yard because for some reason she wouldn't leave the deck. Therefore, she wouldn't pee. (Seriously? If I hadn't peed in 12 hours you couldn't keep me still for two seconds once I was near a toilet. Which is what the yard really is to a dog. A big, green toilet.)
  • Finding missing chess pieces. Places they were found: Laundry basket full of sheets. Front hall. Dining room. In plain sight. (Geez!) And later in sleeping 8-year-old's room.
  • Disposing of Robin Lego minifigure that was partially eaten by the dog.
  • Getting 7-year-old to do his chores.
  • "Mom, can you help me find prince costumes on Costume Express?"
  • The sound of a cat barfing right behind my desk chair.
  • Cleaning up cat barf.
  • Checking on 8-year-old, still asleep 2.5 hours later.
  • "Mom! The computer's frozen!"
  • Withholding urge to tell him to put it in the microwave on defrost. Really, that kind of willpower takes effort.
  • "Can I look at costumes on Google?" No. "How about Amazon?" Yes. Don't ask me to explain my rationale.
  • Starting a Honey Do list for Herb when I realized we don't have a Thanksgiving flight for 17-year-old yet. Oops. 
This is when the day got interesting. The list continues...
  • Accidentally waking up my sleeping 8-year-old after about 3 hours when I went into his room and kissed his sweet cheek.
  • Listening to a splash ... then another one ... then another one after sleepy child walks — then runs — toward toward the bathroom. Lord have mercy....
  • Cleaning up vomit from the front hall, walls, and baseboards while he takes a shower.
  • Cleaning up vomit and urine from all over the half-bath while he brushes his teeth. (Poor kid couldn't stop vomiting long enough to pee.) 
  • Putting in a load of his laundry. 
  • Taking a bath because now I feel sooooo icky.
Herb is going to be home in a few minutes, so I'm going to stop my list now. But it got me to thinking, what was the point of this little exercise anyway?

I think it's because, when I get to the end of the day and am frustrated by what I didn't accomplish, I can look back at this list and ponder what I did..
  • I got spend a little time with my 14-year-old instead of yelling good-bye up the stairs because I didn't have to walk out the door at 7:30 for carpool.
  • My not-sick-kiddo got to play with a neighborhood friend he hasn't seen in a while because he didn't go to the sitter's. 
  • My son got to nap all morning because he was at home and could.
  • I got to cuddle and talk with him in bed because he was awakened by my kiss.
  • I was there to comfort him when he was sick and tell him not to be embarrassed because he peed on the floor.
I wonder what the rest of the day will hold? I honestly can't wait.

Finish Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment