Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Facebook Fast

I picked a sucky month to abstain from Facebook.

A really, really, REALLY sucky month.

The Olympics are going on, and I can't post about my very favorite Olympics moment of all time: when Keri Strugg's coach Bela Karolyi carried her to the podium after she tore two ligaments in her leg during her gold medal vault. (So instead, I'll post it here. Ha! Victory.) 


And I wasn't able to check in on Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day. (I was at the location at The Avenues in Cumming with Sandy around 8:30 p.m. in case you care.)



I'm praying through Proverbs with some moms from my little guys' school. They created a Facebook group to discuss what they're learning from it. Christy is trying to keep me in the loop by emailing me their posts each day, but it's not really the same.

Last night, I wanted to enter to win an iPad from our local NBC affiliate, but in order to do so, you had to "Like" their Facebook page. After a couple of minutes wrestling with the ethics of it, I turned to Herb and said, "Will yo please enter? And if you win, you'll give it to me...right?" He made no promises.

Sandy starts high school on Thursday. No posting and tagging him in first day photos.  What was I thinking? Obviously, I wasn't thinking. *sigh*

But I have learned a lot in the ... um ... four days (seriously? It's only been four days? It feels like four months.) that I have been without Facebook.

I've learned that I am so incredibly, terribly addicted.

I've learned that I still turn on my iPhone dozens of times a day and look for the Facebook app in the upper left-hand corner, knowing that it won't be there.

I've learned that I get a lot of junk email. (Checking email has taken Facebook's place.)

I've learned that an alarming amount of what I hear in my head sounds more like status updates than actual thoughts.

Just dropped Sandy off in front of Barnes & Noble for his date. If you can call it a date with Parker's mom and dad following ten paces behind with her little sister in a stroller. Ha!

I've learned how many times a day I have a Facebook moment — whether it's an OMG or an LOL — and it almost hurts that I have no one around to instantly share it with.

Right now, I can't tell you if I'll go back to Facebook when this month-long fast is over. Right now, I'd have to say yes because I still can't imagine not having a Facebook. Yes, I'm pathetic.

Hello. My name is Marybeth. And I'm addicted to Facebook.

Let the scorn begin. You know you want to.

Finish well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment